Sunday, June 11, 2006

Weekend Buzz

As Canadian hockey teams move on in the playoffs and make the finals, their cities run out of beer :-)

This is an amazing optical illusion, make sure to give it a good 40 second stare before looking away. Awesome.

A funny video with a guy demonstrating the history of dance.

This is a cool idea. In the wake of the Tsunami you can pay for timeshares for an island that requires the residents to actually build the community "The Beach" style. Considering that I'll be travelling out to the south-east islands late next year I'm actually thinking about joining, access to water being the deal-breaker.

There are some weird people out there...



The longest road (Younge Street) in the world starts or ends in Toronto.

Interesting video on innovation at Google. Twenty-Six minutes in she references one of the biggest culture shock moments I also had when I first came to Germany, supermarket checkout lines... seriously.

I love the creativity, they mail bricks to their government representatives to get their point across:

"One letter, which was wrapped around a brick and mailed to [Sen. Wayne Allard, R-Colo.] says: "I can't take a day off from work to go stand in the street and protest all day long like an illegal immigrant. But I did have time to send you this brick so that you could get started building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico."

Very curiously cool billboards that depict what you would actually see if there was no billboard there to begin with. I'm sure there's some advacacy group behind these:



Hilarious, this improv group gets a bunch of people to dress in the typical Best Buy (electronics store) emplyee blue shirts and then swarms a store. Genious.

Find a poker game in your area.

Only in the US... a 39 married woman with 2 children gets arrested for having sexual relations with a 16 year old boy. How did the cops find out? The kid drove home one night with a 2002 Mercedes Benz the woman had given him. What!?!? Can you image how that conversation went at the diner table that night:

Parent: "Um son, where did you get that 2002 Mercedes that is parked in our driveway?"

16 year old son: "Oh, my 39 year old married girlfriend gave it to me"

[I am shaking my head in total dis-amazment]

Gapminder shows a graph of countries by size plotted along life expectancy. No surprises here that Canada is up near the top. Notice the correlation between income and life expectancy?



Want to squeeze into that poka-dot bikini this summer? A list of 50 diet tips... #1 is all you need to know.

I leave you with a classic:

"In my house there’s this light switch that doesn’t do anything. Every so often I would flick it on and off just to check.

Yesterday, I got a call from a woman in China. She said, “Cut it out.