Friday, June 17, 2005

Shame

Let me start this post by saying that I've never liked Mariah Carey, not her music, not the way she comes across in interviews and on TV, nothing. In fact it goes beyond just "not liking" her music, it's crap. How she has more number one singles than any artist in history, except Elvis Presley and The Beatles is beyond my comprehension. When Mariah moved over to her new label Virgin Records with a $100,000,000 deal for her next four albums in 2001 it all started to go downhill (that's probably one of the worst 100 million dollars ever spent by anyone ever!). The music got even worse, she started to have personal problems, it all started to spiral. The only thing she had going for her in my books was her above average looks:



Right about now you're probably thinking that this post is written to basically bash on Maria Carey, not so... unfortunately.

Last night I was diligently working away on my thesis with the MTV movie awards on in the background. Suddenly my concentration was broken when I caught the tune of one of the performers, it happened to be Mariah promoting her new album: The Emancipation of Mimi. She was singing her new single "We Belong Together" (I found this out after). At first I thought, huh not as bad as all her other crap. Then I thought, hmm although it's highly produced like a Britney Spear -esque song, it's at least listenable. Then a strange thing happened... I'm too ashamed to even write it... ok I will... I started to actually LIKE the song!

I can't believe it, it's sooo wussy. After watching the end of the performance I quickly turned off the TV and proceeded to turn on my mp3 player to the sound of Tool, Linkin Park and Nine Inch Nails for the remainder of the night. It did little good, this morning I accepted my fate and added "We Belong Together" to my mp3 collection. May God have mercy on my soul.



Hopefully one day I can look back on this post and be able to attribute it to poisonous tap water or radiation from a nearby nuclear plant, but until that day I'll just hang my head with disgust.

I am ashamed to call myself a man.

:-)