Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Graduation Time (again)

Mark it down. June 30th I'll be back in Pforzheim to take the final step of what really finished a year ago with the end of classes and my thesis... I'll be putting on my black hat, walking the line and accepting my MBA degree.

It's been an amazing ride. It seems like only yesturday that I was pumped up with butterflies in my stomack leaving Canada to start a 2+ year long journey. Wow, I can't believe how many good times, both academically and socially, that we had. Without a word of a lie my time at "Pforzheim U" coud not have been more exciting and definatly surpassed my wildest expectations.

Academically, the exchange program (I went to Utah) was icing on the cake and I highly recommend that any students enrolled in the program take that opportunity. There's a range of great schools they offer (I've heard great things about the India Banglador exchange) and although it's a little more costly it's definatly worth ever penny and more in experience. I also highly recommend going to Utah U for your exchange, which at first seems like a weird out of the way choice, but which offers an amazing staff of strategy targeted professors and research as well as a breathtaking landscape that will steal your heart away. (check the archives of the blog for lots of pics and commentary about my time at Utah U)

Also a quick tip for any students entering their second year, get on your thesis NOW. It's the most valuable piece of work you'll develop throughout your studies and you need to snag the good professors early. Also it's a much longer iterative process then you can imagine, and if you have a passion for a particular niche (focus on an emerging niche, it'll provide for numerous employment opportunities after graduation) and the time to develop it fully you'll be amazed with the results. Shoot me an e-mail, or better yet buy me a beer at Irish Pub on the 30th and I'll give you my run down of the professors to focus on.

Speaking of professors, I definatly want to thank all my professors that helped mold my passion for business strategy... and help keep me awake for less-than-exciting courses ;-) especially Prof. Pfoertch who oversaw my thesis which helps launch a career and future PHD research in a field I am passionate and excited about.

I'd also like to thank all my colleagues who made the MBA experience all that it is inside and outside the classroom. Man, did we do it up or what! There's so much I could write about this, so many groups and individuals to thank here, but I'm going to keep it short with a simple "thanks you know who you are" and of course... next beer's on me :-)

And last but not least, I'd like to thank Prof. Dr. Moczadlo and Mr. Ebert for their tireless work in making the program what it is today, something I am tremendously honoured to have been a part of. Their patience for my constant hairbrained scemes throughout the years has made the MBA experience even that more enjoyable. I look forward to catching up with both of you... perhaps at Hagen for a Hefe following the ceremonies ;-)

So I could ramble on for hours but I'll save that for Irish Pub after grad ;-) If you're in the area make sure to come back home to Pforzheim for the 30th and we'll all share our war stories over a couple cold ones.

Happy Grad everyone!



PS> I've got another vid related to my time at Pforzheim coming soon, I hope to have it out by the end of the weekend but we'll have to see as I'm scrambling to get work done right now while squeezing in a NHL Stanley Cup Finals and World Cup game or two ;-)