Friday, August 20, 2004

Wow, back from an amazing trip to Paris and EuroDisney, awsome! We hit all the biggies in Paris after an all night bus ride Monday night (cheaper than the train, 65 euros roundtrip) except the louvre that for some reason is closed ONLY on Tuesday's. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant I went to that night because the wine was a'flowin and good times abounded :-)

Wednesday checked into Val D'Elysee in Disneyland (impressively better than I could ever have imagined putting an even bigger smile on my face considering the package price I got it for!) which is a 5 minute free bus shuttle away from the EuroDisney gates. I'll be posting a bunch of pics next week when they get back from the developer and so I'll spot those posts with comments but EuroDisney in three thoughts: smaller than DisneyWorld Florida, some great updated rides, great overall package value :-)

Needless to say I'm glad to be finished my marathon of travelling from the last three weeks which has semi-effectively kept my mind off some pressing matters as well as impending schoolwork deadlines (can anyone say knowledge management?!?!)... or am I (I leave tomorrow to watch VFB Stuttgart kick some as in the first round of the pokal in Mayer and then off to Koln for some partying and the World Championship hockey preliminary round, Germany vs. Russia... SWEET!!

Life just keeps rolling on! :-)

Some net notes:

The case for linguistic determination, the hypothesis that the language available to humans defines our thoughts. The more I travel and the more people I meet the more I realize the truth of this statement even to the point that language affects not only thought processes but manurisms, charater and beliefs. As my cross-cultural professor always says "language IS culture!"

How's the local public restroom? Go find ratings of washrooms from around the world. Looks like there's no problem in Antarctica, I can't wait to go there!

These types of errors happen all the time and cost businesses billions every year. The more humourous examples usually involve the naming of new products with words that are offensive in other languages. Another potential landmine of market expansion strategy.