Saturday, September 11, 2004

As I lay in bed with a bad cold (don't get me started again on the absurbity of getting a cold in the middle of a hot summer, and this is the second time this year!), here's what I'm finding as I watch VFB kick Hamburg around the Bundesliga field and troll around the web with my laptop:

If you don't love what you do it's impossible to deal with the stress associated with it. Here's an article that looks at possible origins of stress and the benefits of an empowered workforce.

For my old University of Waterloo Mathematics geeks, looks like someone found a numeric solution to finding the roots of any polynomial function. I think I answered on one of my university tests that this was possible and they marked it wrong. I want my 1 point back! :-)

A couple excerpts from "How Would You Move Mount Fuji? Microsoft's Cult of the Puzzle - How the World's Smartest Company Selects the Most Creative Thinkers":

1. "When crucial information is missing in a logic puzzle, lay out the possible scenarios. You'll almost always find that you don't need the missing information to solve the problem."

2. "When you hit a brick wall, try to list the assumptions you're making. See what happens when you reject each of these assumptions in succession."

The nifty difference with the Mark Cuban funded IceRocket search is that they put a screenshot of the webpage beside each result. It also puts blog results and related searches as separate results to the right of the page. Very useful, very cool.

What does Microsoft do with its 7 billion dollars in R&D budget every year? Where's the innovation? I'm not sure, but Microsoft was built and has always been an imitator company; look at a new innovative product or service that someone else has developed and is popular, throw alot of money into developing a similar (or better) version and stamp out the original competitor. Whooo Microsoft!

What is marketing? An intro preceeding this years marketing class.

An interesting post on the trials of one guy when he moved to a new house.

The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition. I can't help but think what the fate of companies that follow some of these rules will be :-) There's some gems in there, here's a couple that caught my eye:

1. "Every once in a while, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies"
2. "When the going gets tough, the tough change the rules"
3. "A wife is a luxury... a smart accountant, a necessity"
4. "Accountants do not play the game; they only keep the score"
5. "Necessity, n. The mother of invention. Profit is the father"

---

I just saw on MTV "Newlyweds" this hilarious conversation: [as Nick and Jessica go to their car]

Jessica: "Will you open the door for me?"
Nick: "Nope."
Jessica: "At the beginning of our marrage you'd always open the door for me!"
Nick: "At the beginning of our marrage I got laid."

---

I outie, just for the record, VFB 2 - Hamburg 0. :-)