Monday, February 28, 2005

Tokaruk got this in; wisdom from the Dalai Lama for 2004, I've seen many of these before but they're definatly worth a re-visit:

1 - Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2 - When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
3 - Follow the 3 R's; respect for self, respect for others, responsibility for all your actions.
4 - Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5 - Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6 - Don't let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
7 - When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8 - Spend some time alone every day.
9 - Open arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
10 - Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11 - Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll
be able to enjoy it a second time.
12 - A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13 - In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.
14 - Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
15 - Be gentle with the earth.
16 - Once a year, go someplave you've never been before.
17 - Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18 - Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19 - Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

Now some of that is good advise, some better than others. It occured to me today that the year is already two months old. How did one sixth of the year pass without a blink!?! I can't beleive how fast time is moving, it seems to speed up every year! I wanted to start a list of goals for the year and I never even got around to it, so I'm going to post some general and specific things I'd like to accomplish in the last 10 months of 2005:

1 - The standard get back into shape, specifically I want to run at least a half marathon and get back to my weekly men's hockey games. Both these goals are attainable but relatively challenging considering the condition of my knees for those activities, the fact that I'll be traveling around alot over the next couple months and off course my drinking habits ;-)

2 - Gotta get some more German under my belt than I have. I used to gauge the ultimate success or failure of this training on whether I could pick up a chick entirely speaking German, then I realized that with alcohol as my friend you could speak only 5 words of Albanian and still score a touchdown now and again, so I'll just put a measuring stick of being able to converse with a German without them switching to English after my first sentance as the goal.

3 - Somehow grasp the link between hardware and software. The jump between the two has always perplexed me and my recent realization that almost anything can be learned by almost anyone if they put their mind to it has driven me to pursue the answers to some concepts that have eluded my understanding for a while. I guess language training would also technically qualify under this section, but I've already mentioned it above, although perhaps the sheer "brutalness" of my language learning skills requires a double entry ;-)

4 - Simplify.

5 - Start off my new post-MBA career running. This one's actually going to be quite easy since I tend to jump in hardcore when working. Since I won't be presured into taking a job that I'm not passionate about I won't have the problem of a lack of interest or desire to motivate as well. I guess most of the career stuff is going to be figured out pretty soon (in the next couple months or so... or at least I hope so!).

There's the list for now. There's a bunch of other stuff I'd like to put up there but some of it I'm still mullin' over in my head so it'll have to wait. I think it's a good start though anyways.

Update: I'd also like to add to the list the goal of continuing the string of absolute fun and sun that I've enjoyed over the past decade or so of my life. Although I've already achieved a great level of personal fun, learning and excitement, I feel it's important to list it as an ongoing mission of sorts. Wow, time is flying fast but what a ride it's been!

So at the end of 2005 (or possibly by Feb 2006), I'll check back to see how it all went. Wish me luck, I'll do the same for all your New Years resolutions!