Monday, February 07, 2005

The other day I was totally bummed out and bored so I threw on my shoes and took the trolley downtown... for some Haagen Dazs! Chocolate chocolate chip is the best (it used to be called chocolate chocolate chunk in Germany and was better I think, although it's probably the exact same). By the time I returned home (about 25 minutes later) I had already eaten the whole container. Um ok Ross:



Tomorrow I'll have my SuperBowl commercial review online, but for now I'm totally exhausted after spending the whole night awake with excitement over finally figuring out what my thesis is going to be on. Yeah me! (now I just have to research and write it, which will be SOOO easy, yeah right!). On with the show:

Aussie, this link's for you! It's an Australian podcasting site for technology. Check out this show where they broadcast from America. Gotta love that accent!

Marta gets another great link in, good job! Wonder what happens when you're the first to pass out at that wicked party? Well wonder no more :-)

I never had any respect (or interest for that matter) for Paris Hilton. I think I actually get dumber by listening to her, but anyone how can go on national television and make light of a bad difficult situation that they've been involved in (a sex tape of her and her boyfriend got released for all to see) has certainly earned my admiration. Clearly a well orcastrated publicity mend by her publicist and the genius comedians who work at Saturday Night Live, but cudos for her doing it, no pun intended ;-)

Starbucks branches into alcoholic coffee's/beverages (finally!). I predict a good boost in profitability with this move if executed correctly (which is why they've taken so long to roll it out I guess).

Remember that post I had about the absurdity of allowing the city of Paris to trademark the Eiffel tower for night photo's because of the addition of lights? It's getting alot worse much quicker than I thought. Now this Chicago art, on public space, bought with public money, cannot be photographed. UNBELIEVEABLE!

Only in Canada! For the first time ever the television rights fees were higher for the Winter Olympics than the Summer Olympics (which the organistion always sells together as a package).

Wow, this organisation which I share a name (The Jason Foundation for Education) looks pretty interesting, I wish I had been exposed to something like this when I was younger. Certainly seems like a step towards the grail of future education systems. Check and see how the organisation got its name and what it's about.

I love airhockey, it's AWSOME! Now play it online! Very cool... I think I just wasted an hour playing that game! Here's a site where you can get EVERY original Nintendo game for your computer, they even have Dig Dug and Super Dodgeball (the best Nintendo game EVER!).

Ok we just talked about air hockey and video games, so now we talk about beer :-) On your 19th birthday (the legal drinking age in Ontario, Canada) tradition requires you to buy a 2-4 (case of 24 beer) and drink the whole case yourself in one night. It's quite a challenge (I've only done it 4 times in my life, although I haven't tried officially in a while and I'm sure some of the Irish pub nites had more than a case worth in draft and shots!) . Here's a site that gives you step by step instructions. I smiled when I saw that it was obviously a bunch of Canadian guys that did it (the beer is only sold in Canada). Cool. Update: I just realized that this site is hosted at Carleton University in Ottawa... I went to this school for a semester :-) Rock on!

This is what happens when your college buddies get ahold of your room key... everything wrapped in foil!

I leave you with this. Tokaruk sent a forward that really hit home so I had to post it (it's a little long but stick with it):

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it sudenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like Mother of Pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out,

"Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir, come right in and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yes, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, and then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."
"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's Hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind."
Soooo... Sometimes, we wonder why friends keep forwarding jokes to us without writing a word, maybe this could explain: When you are very busy, but still want to keep in touch, guess what you do. You forward jokes. When you have nothing to say, but still want to keep contact, you forward jokes. When you have something to say, but don't know what, and don't know how, you forward jokes.

And to let you know that you are still remembered, you are still important, you are still loved, you are still cared for, guess what you get?

A forwarded joke.

So, next time you get a joke, don't think that you've been sent just another forwarded joke, but that you've been thought of today and your friend on the other end of your computer wanted to send you a smile...

Here's one to all my friends, where ever you may be :-) :-) :-)