Thursday, December 23, 2004

I'M HOME!!!

Well it's been quite a whirlwind since the MBA Amsterdam trip, lots has happened, lots to catch up on, so let's get right to it!

First of all it's amazing to be back home, the food, the people, everything! When you go abroad at first you're so excited that you don't even miss home. Everything's new, different, like a vacation. Anything that takes you away from the reglar rigga-ma-roll of your life is cool and fresh. After the initial excitement wears off (that should read: after the initial buzz of term opening parties wears off sometime in November) you get into a regular groove. You go merrily on your own way for a while until things start to grate, you start to miss a particular meal or friend, some cultural reactions which were interesting at first start to quizzle etc. By the end it's all replaced with a conflicting combination of sadness of leaving and happiness to go back home... but it goes by oh so fast. I can't believe I've already been gone for almost 2 full years (with a short trip home for Winterlude and hockey last winter). Words can't explain.

Anyways, Germany was AMAZING, truely, truely AMAZING! It's just great to get back and catch up with the gang! Note to gang: I've made a ton of calls tonight already, I'll try and get to the rest as well as all those e-mails over the next couple days, but here's the sched for the next week until I rock on down to Utah:

Dec 24th: My birthday, for all of you who still do not know my age I will be turning 35... or is it 15? ;-)

Dec 25th: Christmas Day, fucking A on the turkey diner!!

Dec 26th: East Sides in the loo for lunch/beers/football, move to Al's for the rest of the days matches, finish up with some big time beers and partying.

Dec 27th: The party moves to T-dot at Stevie's sweet pad, hot tub, sauna and I think a risk board will be involved :-)

Dec 28th - Dec 30th: I have to hit home to finish a project I took on when I got back (hence the minimal contact since I returned on Monday).

Dec 31: New Year Eve Party's at Al's place!! (and this isn't one of those times that I announce a party at Al's place without her knowing... really!)

Jan 1: I've never actually been awake to confirm the exsistance of this day before :-)

Jan 2: Prep for Utah

Jan 3: Rock to Utah for the fourth and final MBA semester, sweet!

So I hope to see you all out and a'boot these holidays! You all know my home number but because I'll be bumming around, e-amil will probably be easiest if you need to get ahold of me, and please do since it's been almost 2 years since I've seen some of you!

I see that this has been the longest non-posting session since the blog began (10 days), and looking back at the crazyness of the last couple weeks (combined with a broken laptop and limited internet access) I can certainly understand why. Things should be back to normal following the holidays and move to Utah for the final MBA semester. I wonder if I should change the name of the blog from EuroRoss since I'll be in the States, or leave it since in all probability I hope to go back to Germany for at least part of the summer for the completion of my thesis and graduation [mixed in with some travel and personal "business" ;-) ]

So the week after Amsterdam (what a spacey great trip!) was busy busy getting asignments and exams out of the way on Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday went out during the day for some beers with the hockey team, then to my place to watch the VFB game (we won easily) then of course last Irish Pub Wednesday. This was truely a night to remember, unfortunatly I can't. Just joking, it was awsome! I want to thank everyone who showed up and for the surprise gifts! I think the final song count that I sang on stage was 4 but someone a little more sober will have to confirm that ;-) Thanks again to everyone, you made it truely special. (Pics for all days to follow after I wade through e-mails and archived CD's)

Thursday we hit the Butcher in Kirchberg, a tradition on arrival and departure of sorts. Thanks to the small group (including the representatives of the Russian mafia) who made it out to the middle of nowhere, especially my Paris Partisans who came all the way throught the middle of the night just to make it, I don't know how you did it but it was awsome! Can someone tell me how a 5 minute walk up to the hill for some star gazing beers at 3AM turned into a 1 hour DRIVE back at 6AM?? Hilarious.

After recovering on Friday morning I spent all afternoon and night packing all the stuff I couldn't fit nor afford to bring home (although I did, more on how Air Canada sucks my balls in a later post). Three boxes, a hockey bag, a mountaineer backpack and a laptop bag for the flight as well as 4 boxes and some furniture for storage later I was finished. We rocked over to Karlsruhe to show the city around a bit before the French delegation had to go back, then it was off again to finish an amazing weekend and then finish it all off with my best friend. As always, I promised myself not to have a huge hangover for the long plane ride home and yet again the combination of tasty beer, a 6AM bedtime with a 7AM wakeup and a 10 hour flight day (which turned into 15 hours, dam you Air Canada!) did not bode well for promises :-( Saying goodbye was painful and difficult, but I finally made it home, and in one piece. Reflections to follow in the next weeks.

Well another great thing about being back in North America is that TV rocks again, so I'm off to watch back to back episodes of the O.C., SWEET! My picks for best new programs of the season are "Desperate Housewives" for her and "Viva La Bam" for him, although a healthy dose of West Wing, Survivor and NYPD Blue are definatly in order!

I leave you with this quote scammed from Starkdavingmad who ripped it from Ida Scott Taylor, it's similar to a philosiphy I live by:

"One day at a time–this is enough. Do not look back and grieve for the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled by the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering."

See y'all soon!